The interesting thing someone said at a party.
It was HAPO Dan's 22nd birthday this past Wednesday, in honor of which an elderly, usually drunken diamond miner named Rick threw a party. After Rick's we went to Bubble's Nightclub where we learned that Wednesday night is happening in Tabora, and that locals love drunken wazungu dancing.
Prior to said dancing, however, an interesting comment was made by Rick's Tanzanian wife. She is quite a bit younger than he, and is spectacularly friendly. Everyone seems to love her, except Rick, whom I'm told often says that he married her for her body.
As we talked, she asked me about my experiences in Tanzania. I asked what, specifically, she was interested in knowing, and she mentioned her foreign cultural experiences in the UK:
In the west people don't care about each other
(moment's pause in which I think, and probably nod)
They are much more civilized.
They mind their own business.
(a moment's confusion, in which I stop nodding, realize that this was intended wholly as a compliment, and appreciate the wonders of cultural relativity.)
So for those of you who are struggling to find a point upon which to bolster your pride in Western Civilization, just remember: People don't care about each other -- it's much more civilized.
Of course, I believe this to be a half-truth at best, but as an individual's observation, it is what is is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment